Friday 25 July 2014

Life \\ Happy Birthday to.... My Blog & Getting Personal

Hey guys,

Today is the 6 month birthday of my little corner of the internet, my blog.



In view of the above I thought I would post up a little ode to the blog and also open up a little more to you guys about why I started blogging and why I love blogging so much.

I started my blog back at the end of January 2014 and this was a product of spending pretty much my whole Christmas cozied up in my pyjamas watching endless YouTube beauty tutorials, clothes hauls and favourites videos.   And I thought, you know what, I think I could give that a go.

It turned out however that I did not feel confident enough to plonk myself in front of a camera and start talking to myself so instead I grabbed my Dad's DSLR camera and started taking photos and writing up my thoughts on the recent make up products I had purchased.

Starting a beauty blog (as opposed to any other subject) seemed like a natural step to me because I am constantly buying new make-up products and I am also always nosing at beauty reviews before I buy.  I also love trying new skin care and I think I have a bit of an angle on that I suffer from blemish prone skin and so I thought I would try and concentrate on that aspect and helping out others by suggesting better products for skin related issues.

You see the thing is, I think it is a good time to share with you lovely readers why I suffer from blemishes constantly as opposed to occasional hormonal breakouts and that's down to the fact that I suffer from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.  I have, up until now, completely avoided talking about it on here and in my videos simply referring to the reason why my skin has good days and then really bad days by calling this a 'medical condition'. I realise this is a very personal thing to share but I have been toying with the idea of sharing this information for a while now and I feel comfortable enough to talk about on the internet.

If you're unsure as to what exactly Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (hereon known as PCOS) is then to put it simply it means I have cysts on my ovaries.  This is not always the case for everyone that suffers with PCOS because you can suffer with the side effects of it (which include acne, unwanted facial hair, trouble losing weight and irregular or no periods) without the cysts being present but I know that unfortunately in my case they are there.  I don't want to go into too much of what this entails but I will in the future cover the subject in greater detail and I plan to do a whole post about how this affects my life and I also want to start including content about PCOS on my blog from time to time.  

The reason I'm choosing to share this now is I have done a few skincare posts and videos lately and I want you guys to know that when I'm talking about having bad skin that I genuinely know what it is like to suffer with really bad acne and that I don't suffer from only 'hormonal breakouts' but more of a constant battle to get my skin in a good place.

I don't want this to be a blog about PCOS because that's not all I am about but I want there to be some comfort in the fact that I know what I'm talking about and if you feel like you're really struggling with your skin that this could be a place of advice and guidance and hopefully somewhere to resolve some troubles you may be dealing with.  Having said that I would love this to be a positive place for fellow PCOS club members to come and get tips or helpful information and just somewhere where you're not alone.

I hope sharing this will make me, as a human being, slightly more relatable to beyond the pages of my blog, because to you I am just someone writing up a post every few days about an item I have enjoyed or a collection of my favourite lipsticks.  But I want you to think this is someone who knows what I am going through and can hopefully suggest some remedies, tips or products to try to help turn things around.

So, a full blog post will follow but in the meantime I just want to give a HUGE shout out to +Clare C whos blog inspired me many months ago to explore the possibility of even talking about this subject and she has been someone who has supported and encouraged me to talk about this since that time.  If you want to read an inspirational and amazing blog then head over to fightingthefear2013.blogspot.co.uk.

For further information on Polycystic Ovary Syndrome then please visit the NHS Choices website.

Now we've covered why I started blogging and my big announcement, lets move onto why I love this blog.  I originally started this blog because I was bored with life and my job and I thought it would give me something fun to do.

It has definitely done that and sometimes I don't think there is a enough time for everything because I film my videos and take my blog pictures over the weekend (because I work during the week and I miss the good light!) and sometimes I do run out of time or don't get something done that I wanted to but I try and stay motivated and organisation is so important.  If I plan what I'm going to blog about for the weeks ahead, I can then work this around my social life and if on the odd occasion it means I need to get up extra early to get things done I don't mind.  And I don't mind doing it because I enjoy my blog so much and I'm so proud of it.

This blog brings a sense of fulfilment to my life that wasn't there before and it's opened me up as a person.  Did I ever think I would be able to put myself out there on the internet and on YouTube when I was pondering starting a blog back at Christmas?  No.  But I have pushed myself out of my comfort zone which is not something I tend to do and it's totally gratifying because now I have this amazing thing that I'm so proud of and enjoy so much and it's all because I just pushed myself to make that first step.

Even though I have had some ups and downs, I feel like my blog is one of my favourite things about my life.  It is a place where I can express my opinions and write down my thoughts on what I hope someone else will find interesting but also it's a creative outlet for me.  I get to interact with people via social media and comments and they're people I would never have been about to talk with if I hadn't started this blog.

It's such a great feeling when I watch a video back or when someone leaves me a comment telling me how they have found my post useful or helpful.    The beauty blogging community scared me at first because I thought it would be too clique-y but it is so amazing and for the most part everyone is so encouraging of one another and positive about each other, it's a great place to be a part of.

Which leads me to my final point and that is if you thinking about starting a blog, GO FOR IT.  You won't regret it and if you do it then leave me your link :o)

I hope this post wasn't too long and I hope it was both positive and encouraging and hopefully you've got to know me a little bit better.

As usual, any questions then please feel free to tweet me @emsylous or comment below, as always I'd love to hear from you and if you want to leave your links feel free because I love reading new blogs :o)




No comments:

Post a Comment